Section of Emergency Medicine
Research Associate (Professor)
|MS||1977||Andhra University||Physical Chemistry
|PhD||1982||Andhra University||Physical Chemistry
|MD||2007||Altai Medical University ||Medicine
Dr. Nanduri’s laboratory examines the impact of hypoxia on ion channel trafficking, especially K+ channels, which are critical for regulating various cellular responses to low O2 such as cellular excitability, maintenance of membrane potential, and neurotransmitter secretion. Hypoxia is a pervasive physiological stimulus that occurs under many different pathophysiological circumstances and can be either continuous (CH) or intermittent (IH).Ongoing projects are aimed at defining the intracellular signaling pathways by which CH and chronic IH regulate O2 sensitive K+ channel protein trafficking in both animal and cell culture models and their impact on physiological responses.
- Nanduri J, Makarenko V, Reddy VD, Yuan G, Pawar A, Wang N, Khan SA, Zhang X, Kinsman B, Peng YJ, Kumar GK, Fox AP, Godley LA, Semenza GL, Prabhakar NR. Epigenetic regulation of hypoxic sensing disrupts cardiorespiratory homeostasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2012;109(7):2515-20. PMCID: PMC3289330
- Wang N, Khan SA, Prabhakar NR, Nanduri J. Impairment of pancreatic ß-cell function by chronic intermittent hypoxia. Exp Physiol. 2013; 98(9):1376-85. PMID: 23709585, PMCID: PMC3756548
- Nanduri J, Vaddi DR, Khan SA, Wang N, Makarenko V, Semenza GL, Prabhakar NR. HIF-1a activation by intermittent hypoxia requires NADPH oxidase stimulation by xanthine oxidase. PLoS One. 2015;10(3): e0119762
- Wang N, Kang HS, Khan SA, Ahmmed G, Makarenko VV, Prabhakar NR, Nanduri J. Calpain Activation by ROS mediates Human ether-a-go-go-related gene Protein Degradation by Intermittent Hypoxia. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2016;310(5):C329-36.
- Nanduri J, Peng YJ, Wang N, Khan SA, Semenza GL, Kumar GK, Prabhakar NR. Epigenetic regulation of redox state mediates persistent cardiorespiratory abnormalities after long-term intermittent hypoxia. J Physiol. 2017 595(1):63-77.