Section of Geriatrics
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|MD||2006||University of Illinois College of Medicine||
|MPH||2007||University of Illinois Chicago||Epidemiology
|Residency||2010||University of Chicago||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2012||University of Chicago||Geriatrics
Dr. Huisingh-Scheetz's academic work focuses on delineating frailty trajectories among obese compared to non-obese older adults, with a particular interest in the role of energy expenditure (e.g. basal metabolic rate and physical activity). Her research benefits from two cohorts: 1) The Successful Aging of Frail Elders (SAFE) clinic- a novel, interdisciplinary, research clinic that evaluates and treats at risk and frail older adults longitudinally and includes a “real time” electronic database, and 2) The National Social Life, Health, and Aging Project (NSHAP)- a federally funded longitudinal study of over 3,000, community-dwelling older adults with baseline and 5-year follow-up data that includes self-report, biomarker, and actigraphy data. Her proposed research takes advantage of these databases and the rich interdisciplinary research infrastructure at UC to address relevant questions in obesity and frailty.
Dr. Huisingh-Scheetz's clinical work is based in both the outpatient and inpatient settings. At the University of Chicago, she is a provider in the Successful Aging of Frail Elders (SAFE) clinic located at the South Shore Senior Center. She is also the Director of the Inpatient Geriatric Consult Service at Mercy Hospital and the Geriatric Rotation Coordinator for the Mercy residents.
- Huisingh-Scheetz MJ, Dunlop D, Chang RJ, Chung A, Chang HJ. “Racial/Ethnic Differences in Unmet Social Support Need Among TKR Candidates.” Oral Presentation. American College of Rheumatology Nov 2007 Annual Conference. Boston, MA.
- Huisingh-Scheetz MJ. Predictors of BMI in Two, Chicago African-American Communities. Poster Presentation. 2007. American College of Physicians Illinois Chapter Regional Meeting, 3rd Place Resident Poster Competition. Chicago, IL.
- Megan Huisingh-Scheetz MD MPH, Ronald Maggiore MD, Joan Bigane APRN, Seema Limaye MD, Daniel Brauner MD. Reducing Medication and Medical Management Errors During Hospital-to-Nursing Home Transfers. Poster Presentation. 2010. University of Chicago Annual Quality Improvement Fair. Chicago, IL.
- MJ Huisingh-Scheetz, S.P. Bilir, W Dale. Effects of BMI on Quality of Life Among Racial Subgroups with Chronic Medical Conditions. Presidential Poster Presentation. 2011. American Geriatrics Society Annual Meeting. Washington, D.C
- L Mailliard MSN APN, M Huisingh-Scheetz MD MPH, K Thompson MD, W Dale MD PhD, J Shega MD, P MacClarence AM LSCW, J Solotoroff LCSW, P Rush MD MBA. The SAFE Clinic: Successful Aging and Frailty Evaluation. Jan-Feb 2012. Geriatric Nursing. 33 (1): 68–74.