Section of Hematology / Oncology
Associate Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BS||1990||Yale University||Molecular Biochemistry and Biophysics
|MD||1995||University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine||Medicine
|Residency||1998||Massachusetts General Hospital||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2001||Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Partners CancerCare||Adult Oncology/Hematology
Dr. Cohen’s research focuses on interactions between tumor cells and their stromal microenvironment. His laboratory specifically studies mechanisms of recruitment and engraftment of bone marrow-derived angiogenic precursor cells during tumor neovascularization. In addition to studying these processes in pre-clinical murine models, Dr. Cohen has also established expertise in the use of flow cytometry to enumerate circulating precursor cells in patients treated on anti-angiogenic clinical trials. The goal of his research is to identify targets for anti-angiogenic therapy of tumors, as well as to discover novel cell based biomarkers of therapeutic response.
Hodgkin’s lymphoma and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- Cohen KS and Scadden DT. AIDS-related non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. In: Grossbard M, editor. Malignant Lymphomas. Ontario, Canada, B.C. Decker, Inc., Publisher, 2002; 14:241-258.
- Wang Z, Cohen K, Shao Y, Mole P, Dombkowski D, and Scadden DT. Ephrin receptor, EphB4, regulates ES cell differentiation of primitive mammalian hemangioblasts, blood, cardiomyocytes and blood vessels. Blood. 2004; 103(1): 100-109.
- Aghi M*, Cohen KS*, Klein RJ, Scadden DT#, and Chiocca EA#. Tumor cell SDF-1 recruits vascular progenitors to mitotic neovasculature, where micro-environment influences their differentiated phenotypes. Cancer Research. 2006; 66(18):9054-9064.
- Duda DG, Cohen KS, Kozin SV, Perentes JY, Fukumura D, Scadden DT, and Jain RK. Evidence for bone marrow-derived endothelial cells incorporation into perfused blood vessels in tumors. Blood. 2006; 107:2774-2776.
- Duda DG*, Cohen KS*, Scadden DT, and Jain RK. A protocol for detection and enumeration of circulating endothelial cells and circulating progenitor cells in human blood. Nature Protocols (2007); 2(4): 805-810