Section of Hematology / Oncology
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BA||1999||University of Michigan||Philosophy
|BS||1999||University of Michigan||Biochemistry
|MD||2004||University of Michigan Medical School||Medicine
|Fellowship||2011||University of Chicago||Hematology/Oncology
|Fellowship||2012||University of Chicago||Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacogenomics
Dr. Sharma's research involves the use of advanced quantitative methods (also known as modeling and simulation, or pharmacometrics) with existing data from clinical trials in order to improve future clinical trial design and optimize oncology drug development. He was awarded the Paul Calabresi Oncology K12 Scholar Award for his project entitled “Use of longitudinal data from oncology clinical trials to develop disease progression models of biomarkers and patient reported outcomes”. As a clinical investigator, he develops and run clinical trials in the Advanced Solid Tumor Clinic and Gastrointestinal Oncology Clinic, particularly those with a focus on pharmacogenomics, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, or novel designs.
Dr. Sharma is a medical oncologist and clinical pharmacologist with a particular interest in gastrointestinal malignancies and the development of novel therapeutics for advanced solid malignancies. He sees patients whose disease is refractory to standard therapies in the Advanced Solid Tumor Clinic. He also sees patients with gastrointestinal malignancies of all types in the Gastrointestinal Oncology Clinic, with a specific focus on metastatic colorectal cancer and hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Sharma MR, Maitland ML, Ratain MJ. RECIST: no longer the sharpest tool in the oncology clinical trials toolbox. - accepted for publication in Cancer Research (in press)
- Sharma MR, Maitland ML, Ratain MJ. Models of Excellence: Improving Oncology Drug Development. – accepted for publication in Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics (in press)
- Sharma MR, Stadler WM, Ratain MJ. Randomized Phase II Trials: A long-term investment with promising returns. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011 Jul 20;103(14):1093-100.
- Sharma MR, Schilsky RL. Role of randomized phase III trials in an era of effective targeted therapies. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2011 Dec 6;9(4):208-14
- Sharma MR, Karrison TG, Jin Y, Bies RR, Maitland ML, Stadler WM, Ratain MJ. Resampling Phase III Data to Assess Phase II Trial Designs and Endpoints. Clin Cancer Res. 2012 Apr 15;18(8):2309-15.