Jonas De Souza
Section of Hematology / Oncology
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|MD||2003||The University of Rio de Janeiro State||Medicine
|Residency||2008||University of Texas Health Science Center||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2011||University of Chicago||Hematology/Oncology
Dr. de Souza participates in both clinical and outcomes research studies on malignancies of the upper aerodigestive tract, especially head and neck cancers. His research focuses on the use of novel therapeutic agents along with measurements of financial burden, patients’ preferences, and the trade-offs of the risk and benefits of cancer therapies.
Dr. de Souza’s research has sought to integrate outcomes research, patient’s preferences, health policy and economics into clinical practice. His ultimate goal is to increase access to essential cancer therapies by providing policy makers and scientific communities the required information on patient preferences and on barriers that lie between cancer patients and access to care.
De Souza has authored and presented papers and given lectures on head and neck malignancies, reimbursement methods in oncology, and evidence-based care. He is the principal investigator for a trial examining the role of SPECT-CT in the follow-up of patients with locally advanced head and neck cancers.
Head and neck cancer, thyroid cancer, and salivary gland cancers; Personalized medicine, financial burden of cancer and patient’s preferences
- de Souza JA. Off-label utilization in oncology. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol. 2011 June; 9(6): 473-75
- de Souza JA, Polite BN, Manning WG, Fendrick AM, Ratain MJ. Value-based insurance design in oncology. Lancet Oncol. Apr;12(4):321-323.
- de Souza JA, Cohen EEW. [18F]Fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography in the Initial Staging of Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head And Neck: Promise, Evidence, and Reality. Journal of Clinical Oncology. October 1, 2010;28(28):e516.
- de Souza JA, Bines J. The Global Breast Cancer Disparity: Strategies for Bridging the Gap. JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association). December 16, 2009;302(23):2589-90.
- de Souza JA, Cohen EE. Personalizing cancer care: updates on head and neck cancer. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy. 2009;9(9):1219-22.