Section of Nephrology
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|MD||1994||University of Khartoum Medical School, Khartoum, Sudan||
|Residency||1996||Cairo University Hospitals, Egypt||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||1999||St. Louis University||Nephrology
|Residency||2001||St. Louis University||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2005||Yale University School of Medicine||Nephrology
|PhD||2007||Yale University, New Haven, CT||Investigative Medicine
Dr. Hassan’s research focuses on regulation of SLC26A6, an anion exchanger which plays an essential role in intestinal oxalate secretion and thereby in the prevention of hyperoxaluria and calcium oxalate kidney stone disease. We previously found that PKC-delta activation negatively regulates SLC26A6 activity by reducing its surface expression. His lab is currently studying the roles of cholinergic, purinergic, and serotonergic signaling, acting through PKC-delta, in the regulation of intestinal oxalate transport and how these signaling pathways might pertain to the risk of hyperoxaluria and calcium oxalate kidney stone disease.
Fluid and electrolyte and acid-base disorders, Kidney stones, and acute renal failure.
- Hassan, H.A., Mentone, S., Karniski, L.P., Rajendran, V.M., and Aronson, P.S. Regulation of anion exchanger Slc26a6 by protein kinase C. Am. J. Physiol. 292:C1485-C1492, 2007.
- Hassan, H.A. (2007). Mechanisms of Regulation of Anion Exchanger Slc26a6. Retrieved from Dissertations and Theses database. (AAT 3267262).
- Kahle, K., Gimenez, I., Hassan H.A., Wilson, F., Wong, R., Forbush, B., Aronson, P.S., and Lifton, R. WNK4 regulates apical and basolateral Cl flux in extrarenal epithelia. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 101:2064-2069, 2004.
- Disthabanchong, S., Hassan, H.A., McConkey, C., Martin, K.J., and Gonzalez, E.A. Regulation of PTH1 receptor expression by uremic ultrafiltrate in UMR 106-01osteoblast-like cells. Kidney Int. 65(3):897-903, 2004.
- Gonzalez, E.A., Hassan, H.A., and Martin, K.J. Divalent ion regulation and disorders. In Textbook of Clinical Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation. H.H. Mulluche et al, eds. Dustri-Verlag, Munich. Vol 1 (1.5): 1-36