Section of General Internal Medicine
Professor of Medicine
Chief, Section of General Internal Medicine; Vice Chair of Faculty Development
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|MD||1989||The University of Chicago||
|Residency||1993||The University of Chicago||Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
|MA||2003||The University of Chicago||Public Policy Studies
Dr. Burnet conducts research on obesity and prevention of type 2 diabetes in youth. Dr. Burnet designed and implemented a community-based, family oriented program. This program, called the REACH-OUT Children’s Diabetes Prevention Program, is designed to decrease obesity and risk of type 2 diabetes among African-American youth. Her other areas of interest include faculty development, cultural competence and inequalities and health.
Primary care for adults and children, obesity, and type 2 diabetes in youth.
- Lipton R, Drum M, Burnet D, Mencarini M, Cooper A. . Rich B. Self-reported social class, self-management behaviors, and the effect of diabetes in urban, minority young people and their families. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine 2003;157:919-925.
- Burnet DL, Plaut A, Courtney R, Chin M. Preventing type 2 diabetes in minority youth: A practical model and empirical evidence. Diabetes Educator 2002;28:779-95.
- Burnet D. Health care for the poor (course syllabus). Exemplary Course Outlines in Health Care, Ed., Michael Monti, Council on Social Work Education, Alexandria, VA, 1999.
- Burnet D, Albright E. Child Maltreatment: Journal of the American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children (journal review). JAMA 1997;277:1084.
- Becker SW, Lambert RW, Burnet D, et al. An instrument to measure the activity level of the blind. International Journal of Rehabilitation Research 8(4), 1985.