Section of Hematology / Oncology
Professor of Medicine
Director, Myeloma Program
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|MD||1977||Medical Academy, Poznan, Poland||Medicine
|PhD||1983||Medical Academy, Poznan, Poland||Histology and Embryology
|Residency||1984||Medical Academy, Institute of Internal Medicine, Poznan, Poland||Medicine
|Fellowship||1992||The University of Texas Medical School||Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences
|Residency||1993||The University of Texas Medical School||Pathology
|Residency||1997||The University of Texas||Medicine
|Fellowship||2000||Joan and Stanford I. Weill Medical College of Cornell University||Medicine
|Fellowship||2000||Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, NY, NY||Medical Oncology/Hematology
Dr. Jakubowiak is an internationally known expert on multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cells in a patient’s bone marrow. He works closely with the Multiple Myeloma Research Consortium (MMRC) to bring the latest treatments to the patient’s bedside as quickly as possible.
Dr. Jakubowiak’s primary research focus is in the development of new drugs for the treatment of multiple myeloma. He is currently the lead investigator on a number of multi-site clinical trials for patients who are newly diagnosed, have relapsed, or have refractory (resistant to treatment) disease.
Multiple myeloma, Lymphoma, and Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma
- Smith SM. Non-myeloablative Transplantation for Lymphoma. Current Treat Options Oncol, 2003 Aug;4(4):261-8.
- Smith SM and van Besien K. Mediastinal lymphomas. In Textbook of Cardiothoracic Surgery, in press.
- Smith SM, Grinblatt DL, Van Besien, K. Autologous and Allogeneic Transplantation for aggressive non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas. Cytotherapy 4(3):223, 2002.
- Smith SM, LeBeau MM, Huo D, Karrison T, Sobecks RM, Anastasi J, Vardiman JW, Rowley JD, Larson RA. Clinical-Cytogenetic Associations in 306 Patients with Therapy-Related Myeloid Leukemia (t-AML) at the University of Chicago. Blood, 2003 Jul 1;102 (1):43-52.
- Van Besien K, Smith S, Anastasi J, Larson R, Thirman M, Odenike T, Stock W. Irreversible Myelosuppression after Fludarabine-Melphalan conditioning: Observations in Patients with Graft Rejection. Letter to the editor, Blood 2004 June 1;103(11):4373-4