Section of Pulmonary / Critical Care
Associate Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|MD||1999||Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy||Medicine
|Residency||2003||St. Francis Hospital of Evanston||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2006||University of California-Irvine||Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine
|Fellowship||2007||University of California-Irvine||Interventional Pulmonology
Dr. Murgu's research interest relates to application of airway imaging technologies into the clinical arena of malignant and benign airway disease. A primary focus of his current research has been on defining the etiologic, morphologic, and pathophysiologic characteristics of various forms of central airway disorders. In this regard, he has advocated the use of multimodal bronchoscopic imaging for patients with benign and malignant airway obstruction both for diagnosis and for guiding bronchoscopic treatments. Dr. Murgu has evaluated the role of endobronchial ultrasonography combined with optical coherence tomography for guiding laser interventions in patients with benign airway strictures. His current work is focused on improving the understanding of underlying technologies, related clinical issues, and diverse methods used to assess ways to integrate advanced optical and acoustic technologies in order to improve the diagnosis and treatment of patients with airway disorders and lung masses/nodules. In addition, Dr Murgu's research attempts to clarify the impact of bronchoscopic and pleural interventions on quality of life and survival in patients with malignancy and related airway obstruction and pleural effusion.
Tracheobronchomalacia; Excessive dynamic airway collapse; Tracheal stenosis; Rigid bronchoscopic interventions (laser, electrocautery, dilation, airway stents); Lung cancer diagnosis, staging, restaging and repeat biopsy; Foreign body aspiration; Management of massive hemoptysis; Percutaneous tracheostomy; Pleural disease; Palliation of malignant pleural effusion
- Murgu SD, Langer S, Colt HG. Bronchoscopic intervention obviates need for continued mechanical ventilation in patients with airway obstruction and respiratory failure from inoperable non small cell lung cancer. Respiration 2012; 84 (1): 55-61
- Murgu SD, Colt HG, Mukai D, Brenner M. Multimodal imaging guidance for laser ablation in tracheal stenosis. Laryngoscope. 2010;120(9):1840-6
- Murgu SD, Colt HG. Interventional bronchoscopy from bench to bedside: new techniques for central and peripheral airway obstruction. Clin Chest Med. 2010 Mar;31(1):101-15. Review. PubMed PMID: 20172436.
- Murgu SD, Colt HG. Description of a multidimensional classification system for patients with expiratory central airway collapse. Respirology. 2007;12(4):543-50
- Murgu SD, Colt HG. Complications of silicone stent insertion in patients with expiratory central airway collapse. Ann Thorac Surg. 2007;84(6):1870-7