Section of Pulmonary / Critical Care
Assistant Professor of Medicine
|BS||1999||National Taiwan University||Microbiology & Plant Pathology
|MS||2002||University of Pennsylvania||Biotechnology
|PhD||2006||University of Pennsylvania||Bioengineering
|Fellowship||2010||University of Pennsylvania||Medicine and Engineering
Dr. Fang's laboratory has broad interests and deep expertise in vascular biology, non-coding genome, and nano-medicine. We investigate the pathophysiological mechanisms of vascular diseases, particularly the modulation of vascular health by non-coding genome in the context of cardiovascular complication (atherosclerosis) and pulmonary disease (acute lung injury). Our major research goals are 1) to elucidate novel non-coding genome-mediated disease mechanisms and 2) to develop new nanomedicine-based diagnostic and therapeutic applications. The Fang lab applies multi-disciplinary approaches including high-throughput sequencing, bioinformatics, material sciences, human genetics, bioengineering tools, and cell/molecular biology techniques as well as experimental in vivo and in vitro models. Lab Webpage
- Huang RT, Wu D, Meliton A, Oh MJ, Krause M, Lloyd JA, Nigdelioglu R, Hamanaka RB, Jain MK, Birukova A, Kress JP, Birukov KG, Mutlu GM, Fang Y. Experimental lung injury reduces KLF2 to increase endothelial permeability via regulation of RAPGEF3-Rac1 signaling. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 2016. In Press.
- Wu C, Huang RT, Kuo KC, Kumar S, Kim CW, Lin YC, Chen YJ, Birukova A, Birukov KG, Dulin NO, Civelek M, Lusis AJ, Loyer X, Tedgui A, Dai G, Jo H, Fang Y. Mechano-sensitive PPAP2B regulates endothelial responses to athero-relevant hemodynamic forces. Circ Res. 17(4):e41-53, 2015.
- Kuo KC, Leon L, Chung EJ, Huang RT, Sontag TJ, Reardon CA, Getz GS, Tirrell M, Fang Y. Inhibition of atherosclerosis-promoting microRNAs via targeted polyelectrolyte complex micelles. J Mater Chem B Mater Biol Med. 2:8142-8153, 2014.
- Fang Y, Davies PF. Site-specific microRNA-92a regulation of Krüppel-Like Factors 4 and 2 in atherosusceptible endothelium. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 32:979-987, 2012.
- Fang Y, Shi C, Manduchi E, Civelek M, Davies PF. MicroRNA-10a regulation of pro-inflammatory phenotype in athero-susceptible endothelium in vivo and in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 107:13450-5, 2010.