Section of Gastroenterology
Associate Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|MD||1975||The University of Chicago||
|Residency||1980||University of Pennsylvania||Medicine
|Fellowship||1981||University of Pennsylvania||Gastroenterology
|Fellowship||1984||National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive & Kidney Diseases||Digestive Diseases
Dr. Bissonnette’s research interests are focused on three major themes: 1) roles of EGFR and ErbB2 growth factor signaling in colon cancer. 2) roles of bile acids in colonic tumorigenesis. 3) colonic carcinogenesis in ulcerative colitis. His lab is currently studying gene expression changes in aberrant crypt foci (ACF), the earliest detectable mucosal abnormalities in premalignancy and putative precursors of colon cancer. They are also studying targets of (UDCA), a putative chemopreventive agent in ulcerative colitis-associated colon cancer. They have identified Ras and cyclooxygenase-2 (Cox-2) as major targets for the chemopreventive actions of UDCA in AOM colonic carcinogenesis.
- Khare S, Cerda S, Wali RK, Von Lintig FC, Tretiakova M, Joseph L, Stoiber D, Cohen G, Nimmagadda K, Hart J, Sitrin MD, Boss GR, Bissonnette M. Ursodeoxycholic Acid Inhibits Ras Mutations, Wild-type Ras Activation, and Cyclooxygenase-2 Expression in Colon Cancer. Cancer Res 2003;63:3517-3523.
- Wang HL, Wang J, Xiao SY, Haydon R, Stoiber D, He TC, Bissonnette M, Hart J. Elevated protein expression of cyclin D1 and Fra-1 but decreased expression of c-Myc in human colorectal adenocarcinomas overexpressing beta-catenin. Int J Cancer 2002;101:301-10.
- Wali R, Khare S, Tretiakova M, Cohen G, Nguyen L, Hart J, Wang J, Wen M, Ramaswamy A, Joseph L, Sitrin M, Brasitus T, Bissonnette M. Ursodeoxycholic acid and F6-D3 inhibit aberrant crypt proliferation in the rat AOM model of colon cancer: Roles of cyclin D1 and E-cadherin. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention 2002;11:1653-1662.
- Wali RK, Stoiber D, Nguyen L, Hart J, Sitrin MD, Brasitus T, Bissonnette M. Ursodeoxycholic acid inhibits the initiation and post-initiation phases of azoxymethane-induced colonic tumor development. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2002;11:1316-1321.
- Chen A, Davis BH, Sitrin MD, Brasitus TA, Bissonnette M. Transforming growth factor-beta1 signaling contributes to Caco-2 cell growth inhibition induced by 1,25(OH)2D3. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2002;283:G864-74.