Section of Cardiology
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|MD||2006||University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine||
|Residency||2009||Massachusetts General Hospital||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2012||Massachusetts General Hospital||Cardiovascular Disease
|Fellowship||2014||Massachusetts General Hospital||Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
Dr. Upadhyay is an interventional electrophysiologist with academic interests in the management of complex arrhythmias, innovative left ventricular (LV) lead targeting for cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT), and integrative approaches for device-based population management in heart failure. He has co-authored or presented over 70 original publications, oral presentations, book chapters, and abstracts. In addition, he has been the co-investigator on single-center and multicenter CRT trials utilizing advanced cardiac therapeutics such as multisite LV lead pacing, autonomic modulation, and utilizing device-based diagnostics and sensors to reduce HF hospitalization. The Heart Rhythm Society recognized him with the 2011 Max Schaldach Research Fellowship in Cardiac Pacing and Electrophysiology which he utilized to pursue advanced training in clinical trials, completing the Harvard School of Public Health’s Program in Clinical Effectiveness.
Advanced electrical therapies for heart failure (HF) including cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) and defibrillation, device-based sensors and diagnostics, autonomic modulation, management of atrial fibrillation and complex arrhythmia, and integrated approach to syncope
- Kandala J, Upadhyay GA, Altman RK, Parks KA, Orencole MA, Mela T, Heist EK and JP Singh. “QRS morphology, left ventricular lead location, and clinical outcome in patients receiving cardiac resynchronization therapy.” Eur Heart J (2013) 34:2252-62.
- Upadhyay GA, Mela T and JP Singh. “The Burden of Inappropriate Shocks in Young People and How to Avoid Them.” Heart (2012) 98: 1457-66. This publication was also subsequently republished in Postgrad Med J (2012) 88: 719-28.
- Upadhyay GA and JS Steinberg. “Managing Atrial Fibrillation in the CRT Patient: Controversy or Consensus?” Heart Rhythm (2012) 8S: S51-9.
- Upadhyay GA, Choudhry N, Auricchio A, Ruskin J and JP Singh. “Cardiac resynchronization in patients with atrial fibrillation: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies.” J Am Coll Cardiol (2008) 52: 1239–1246. This publication was also featured as a “Research Highlight” in Nature Clinical Practice Cardiovascular Medicine (2009) 6, 85.
- Upadhyay GA and JP Singh. “Making a Splash? Intrathoracic Impedance and the Prediction of Arrhythmic Events.” Circulation J (2011) 11:2539-40