Section of Nephrology
Professor of Medicine
Chief, Section of Nephrology
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|Internship||1984||Georgetown University Hospital||Internal Medicine
|Residency||1986||Georgetown University Hospital||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||1987||Georgetown University Hospital||Nephrology
|Fellowship||1988||Georgetown University Hospital||Nephrology
|Fellowship||1989||University of Colorado Health Sciences Center||Nephrology
Dr. Chapman's research focuses on mechanisms of cyst formation in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. She has been integrally involved in the development of novel imaging biomarkers for this disease. Dr. Chapman also studies personalized or precision medicine and the role that genetic background plays in predicting antihypertensive responses to blood pressure medications used to treat hypertension. Dr. Chapman's early investigations centered on the renal and systemic changes to blood circulation that occur during preeclampsia. She has received continuous funding for her work from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) over the past 18 years.
Hereditary renal diseases, specifically autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease, as well as other rare conditions including autosomal recessive kidney diseases, the CAKUT disorders, ciliopathies, tuberous sclerosis complex and von Hippel Lindau disease.
- Schrier RW, Abebe KZ, Perrone RD, Torres VE, Braun WE, Steinman TI, Winklhofer FT, Brosnahan G, Czarnecki PG, Hogan MC, Miskulin DC, Rahbari-Oskoui FF, Grantham JJ, Harris PC, Flessner MF, Bae KT, Moore CG, Chapman AB; HALT-PKD Trial Investigators..Blood pressure in early autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease.N Engl J Med. 2014 Dec 11;371(24):2255-66.
- Torres VE, Abebe KZ, Chapman AB, Schrier RW, Braun WE, Steinman TI, Winklhofer FT, Brosnahan G, Czarnecki PG, Hogan MC, Miskulin DC, Rahbari-Oskoui FF, Grantham JJ, Harris PC, Flessner MF, Moore CG, Perrone RD; HALT-PKD Trial Investigators..Angiotensin blockade in late autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease.N Engl J Med. 2014 Dec 11;371(24):2267-76.
- Grantham JJ, Torres VE, Chapman AB, Guay-Woodford LM, Bae KT, King BF Jr, Wetzel LH, Baumgarten DA, Kenney PJ, Harris PC, Klahr S, Bennett WM, Hirschman GN, Meyers CM, Zhang X, Zhu F, Miller JP; CRISP Investigators..Volume progression in polycystic kidney disease.N Engl J Med. 2006 May 18;354(20):2122-30.
- Torres VE, Chapman AB, Devuyst O, Gansevoort RT, Grantham JJ, Higashihara E, Perrone RD, Krasa HB, Ouyang J, Czerwiec FS; TEMPO 3:4 Trial Investigators..Tolvaptan in patients with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease.N Engl J Med. 2012 Dec 20;367(25):2407-18
- Chapman AB, Johnson A, Gabow PA, Schrier RW.The renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease.N Engl J Med. 1990 Oct 18;323(16):1091-6