Section of Cardiology
Associate Professor of Medicine
Director, Cardiac Electrophysiology
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|Residency||2004||Massachusetts General Hospital||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2007||Cedar-Sinai Medical Center||Cardiology
|Fellowship||2008||Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center||Electrophysiology
|Fellowship||2009||Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center||Advanced Complex Ablation
Dr. Tung is passionate about the management of arrhythmias ranging from supraventricular tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, and the entire spectrum of ventricular arrhythmias. His specific area of expertise is catheter ablation, where focused and targeted cauterization of abnormal tissue can be used to eliminate arrhythmias that are not or cannot be addressed with medications. His clinical practice is focused towards using innovative strategies to manage patients that have had prior unsuccessful procedures.
He is amongst the limited number of invasive electrophysiologists in the world that is highly experienced in performing epicardial mapping and ablation for complex arrhythmias. Dr. Tung also has an interest in the overlap of heart failure, electrophysiology, and critical care medicine and rotates in the CCU as service attending.
He currently serves as the principal investigator for several prospective randomized ventricular tachycardia ablation clinical trials focusing on the role of robotic navigation, high-density mapping, and early intervention to improve patient survival.
Atrial fibrillation, Ventricular tachycardia, catheter ablation of cardiac arrhythmias, implantable defibrillators, cardiac resynchronization therapy, angiography,
- Tung R, Michowitz Y, Yu R, Mathuria N, Buch E, Bradfield J, Mandapati R, Wiener I, Boyle N, Shivkumar K. Epicardial ablation of ventricular tachycardia: An institutional experience of safety and efficacy. Heart Rhythm. 2013; 10(4):490-8.
- Jiang RH, Sunny S, Tung R, Liu Q, Sheng X, Zhang ZW, Sun YX, Yu L, Zhang P, Fu GS, Jian CY. Incidence of Pulmonary Vein Conduction Recovery in Patients without Clinical Recurrence after Ablation of Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation: Mechanistic Implications. Heart Rhythm. 2014;11(6):969-76
- Tung R, Buch E, Shivkumar K. Catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation. Circulation. 2012;126(2):223-9.
- Tung R, Mathuria N, Michowitz Y, Yu R, Buch E, Bradfield J, Mandapati R, Wiener I, Boyle N, Shivkumar K. Functional Pace-Mapping Responses for Identification of Targets for Catheter Ablation of Scar-Mediated Ventricular Tachycardia. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2012; 5(2):264-72.
- Tung R, Vaseghi M, Frankel DS, Vergara P, Di Biase L, Nagashima K, Yu R, Vangala S, Tseng CH, Choi EK, Khurshid S, Patel M, Mathuria N, Nakahara S, Tzou WS, Sauer WH, Vakil K, Tedrow U, Burkhardt JD, Tholakanahalli VN, Saliaris A, Dickfeld T, Weiss JP, Bunch TJ, Reddy M, Kanmanthareddy A, Callans DJ, Lakkireddy D, Natale A, Marchlinski F, Stevenson WG, Della Bella P, Shivkumar K. Freedom from recurrent ventricular tachycardia after catheter ablation is associated with improved survival in patients with structural heart disease: An International VT Ablation Center Collaborative Group study. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12(9):1997-2007. doi: 10.1016/j.hrthm.2015.05.036.