Section of Hematology / Oncology
Professor of Medicine
Director of Thoracic Oncology
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BA||1992||Northwestern University||English Literature with Honors
|MD||1996||Indiana University School of Medicine||Medicine
|Residency||1999||Northwestern University-McGaw Med Ctr||Internal Medicine
|Chief Resident||2000||Northwestern University-McGaw Med Ctr||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2003||Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center||Medical Oncology
|Fellowship||2003||Weill Medical College of Cornell University||Medicine
Dr. Patel specializes in the treatment of patients with lung cancer and other thoracic cancers. As Director of Thoracic Oncology at the University of Chicago Medicine ,she oversees lung cancer clinical and research activities. She has authored numerous publications, served as the principal investigator of multiple clinical trials, and has had leadership on national thoracic cancer committees including the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Hoosier Oncology Group, and the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. She works with a team of experts in pulmonary medicine, pathology, radiology, surgery, and radiation oncology to provide state of the art multidisciplinary care. She aims to develop treatments for lung cancer that are personalized. By utilizing targeted approaches, immunotherapy, and cytotoxic chemotherapy, treatment is tailored to individual patients, hopefully leading to better outcomes than current strategies
Lung cancer, thymic tumors
- Patel JD, Hensing TA, Rademaker A, Hart EM, Blum MG, Milton DT, Bonomi PD. Phase II study of pemetrexed and carboplatin plus bevacizumab with maintenance pemetrexed and bevacizumab as first-line therapy for nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2009 Jul 10;27(20):3284-9.
- Gentzler RD, Yentz SE, Johnson ML, Rademaker AW, Patel JD. The changing landscape of phase II/III metastatic NSCLC clinical trials and the importance of biomarker selection criteria. Cancer. 2014 Aug 25: 10.1002
- Patel JD, Krilov L, Adams S, Aghajanian C, Basch E, Brose MS, Carroll WL, de Lima M, Gilbert MR, Kris MG, Marshall JL, Masters GA, O'Day SJ, Polite B, Schwartz GK, Sharma S, Thompson I, Vogelzang NJ, Roth BJ. Clinical cancer advances 2013: annual report on progress against cancer from the American society of clinical oncology. J Clin Oncol. 2014 Jan 10;32(2):129-60.
- Patel JD, Bach PB, Kris MG. Lung cancer in US women: a contemporary epidemic. JAMA. 2004 Apr 14;291(14):1763-8.
- Patel JD, Socinsk MA, Garon EB, Reynolds CH, Spigel DR, Olsen MR, Hermann RC, Jotte RM, Beck T, Richards DA, Guba SC, Liu J, J, Frimodt-Moller B, John WJ, Obasaju CK, Pennella EJ, Bonomi P, Govindan. PointBreak: A randomized phase III study of pemetrexed plus carboplatin and bevacizumab followed by maintenance pemetrexed and bevacizumab versus paclitaxel plus carboplatin and bevacizumab followed by maintenance bevacizumab in patients with stage IIIB or IV nonsquamous non-small cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2013 Oct 21