Section of Nephrology
Associate Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BS||1981||Tufts University/Sackler Biomedical Research ||Chemistry
|MD||1985||University of Massachusetts Medical School||Medicine
|Residency||1988||University of Pittsburgh||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||1991||University of Pittsburgh Medical Cener||Nephrology
|MS||2016||Tufts University/Sackler Biomedical Research||Clinical Research
Dr. McGill has been a clinical nephrologist providing dialysis to people with kidney failure for the past 30 years. Her research focuses upon vascular access, which is a one of the largest single determinants of the clinical outcome in hemodialysis. Secure and reliable access to the bloodstream gives patients the opportunity to integrate outpatient dialysis into a healthy lifestyle. Treatments that depend upon central venous catheters are compromised by decreased ability to clean the blood, and an ever-present threat of life-threatening bloodstream infection.
Dr. McGill's work examines the impact of hospitalization and medical procedures from a patient-centered perspective, in order to arrive at guidance for everyone taking care of patients with kidney disease who may require dialysis. Recent work has concerned the consequences of peripheral intravenous devices, and ultrasound vein mapping.
Hemodialysis optimization,impact of chronic kidney disease care on outcomes, and living-donor kidney transplantation.
- McGill RL, Weiner DE.Dialysate Composition for Hemodialysis: Changes and Changing Risk. Semin Dial. 2017 Jan 8.
- McGill RL, Ruthazer R, Lacson E Jr, Meyer KB, Miskulin DC, Weiner DE.Vascular imaging for hemodialysis vascular access planning. Hemodial Int. 2016 Nov 20.
- McGill RL, Ruthazer R, Meyer KB, Miskulin DC, Weiner DE.Peripherally Inserted Central Catheters and Hemodialysis Outcomes. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016 Aug 8;11(8):1434-40.
- McGill RL, Tsukahara T, Bhardwaj R, Kapetanos AT, Marcus RJ.Inpatient venous access practices: PICC culture and the kidney patient. J Vasc Access. 2015 May-Jun;16(3):206-10.
- McGill RL, Biederman RW, Getts RT, Hazlett SM, Sharma SB, Duran J, Brandys DE, Sysak JC, Sureshkumar KK, Sandroni SE, Marcus RJ.Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging in hemodialysis patients.
J Nephrol. 2009 May-Jun;22(3):367-72.