Section of Gastroenterology
Professor of Medicine
Co-Director, Transplantation Institute; Director of Hepatology
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|MBBS||1986||Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School||Medicine and Surgery
|None||1987||Gloucestershire Royal Infirmary||House Officer in Surgery
|None||1987||Russells Hall Hospital||House Officer in Medicine
|Residency||1992||University of Vermont||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||1994||University of Vermont||Gastroenterology and Hepatology
|Fellowship||1995||Mayo Clinic||Hepatology and Liver Transplantation
Dr. Charlton is an expert in liver transplantation, liver disease and viral hepatitis. He currently serves as President of the International Liver Transplant Society and is a member of numerous professional societies including the AASLD NAFLD Practice Guidelines writing group. Dr. Charlton is an Associate Editor for Transplantation. He has served as an Associate Editor for Hepatology, Liver Transplantation, the American Journal of Transplantation and was a founding Associate Editor for Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. He has published over 200 manuscripts and is a lead investigator for national and international clinical trials in viral hepatitis and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Dr. Charlton has been a principal investigator on several National Institutes of Health grants, including a study of the pathobiological basis of the histological spectrum of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
Liver transplantation, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and viral hepatitis.
- Charlton M, Gane E, Manns MP, Brown RS Jr, Curry MP, Kwo PY, Fontana RJ, Gilroy R, Teperman L, Muir AJ, McHutchison JG, Symonds WT, Brainard D, Kirby B, Dvory-Sobol H, Denning J, Arterburn S, Samuel D, Forns X, Terrault NA. Sofosbuvir and ribavirin for treatment of compensated recurrent hepatitis C virus infection after liver transplantation. Gastroenterology. 2015 Jan;148(1):108-17.
- Curry MP, O'Leary JG, Bzowej N, Muir AJ, Korenblat KM, Fenkel JM, Reddy KR, Lawitz E, Flamm SL, Schiano T, Teperman L, Fontana R, Schiff E, Fried M, Doehle B, An D, McNally J, Osinusi A, Brainard DM, McHutchison JG, Brown RS Jr, Charlton M; ASTRAL-4 Investigators. Sofosbuvir and Velpatasvir for HCV in Patients with Decompensated Cirrhosis. N Engl J Med. 2015; 373:2618-2628.
- AASLD/IDSA HCV Guidelines Panel. Hepatitis C Guidance: AASLD-IDSA Recommendations for Testing, Managing, and Treating Adults Infected With Hepatitis C Virus Hepatology, 2015. Vol. 62, No. 3, 932-954.
- Siddiqui MS, Charlton M. Liver Transplantation for Alcoholic and Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: Pretransplant Selection and Post-Transplant Management. Gastroenterology. 2016 150(8):1849-62. PMID:26971826
- David Goldberg, Ivo C. Ditah, Kia Saeian, Mona Lalehzari, Andrew Aronsohn, Emmanuel C. Gorospe, Michael Charlton. Changes in the Prevalence of Hepatitis C Virus Infection, Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis, and Alcoholic Liver Disease Among Patients With Cirrhosis or Liver Failure on the Waitlist for Liver Transplantation. Gastroenterology, In Press, Gastroenterology, 2017.