Section of Gastroenterology
Professor of Medicine
The Joseph B. Kirsner Professor of Medicine;Chief, Section of Gastroenterology,Hepatology and Nutrition
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BS||1990||University of Illinois||Biology
|MD||1994|| The University of Chicago||
|Residency||1997|| The University of Chicago||Internal Medicine
|Residency||1998|| The University of Chicago||Chief Resident
|Fellowship||2001||The University of Chicago||Clinical Medical Ethics
|Fellowship||2001|| The University of Chicago||Gastroenterology
Dr. Rubin has been studying virtual colonoscopy as a screening tool for colorectal cancer since 1997 and has more recently described mechanisms for radiologists and gastroenterologists to communicate their findings. In addition he has described Mesalamine as a chemo preventive agent in cancer of inflammatory bowel disease and is studying the causes of cancer in IBD. In addition, he has been working to understand the clinical application of the complex genetics of IBD and how to communicate this information to patients and their family. He has used a federal database to identify links between colon cancer and other malignancies.
Inflammatory bowel disease, high risk cancer syndromes, and celiac disease.
- Rubin DT. The Promise of Chemoprevention of Colorectal Cancer in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Advances in Digestive Disease, editor Colin W. Howden, American Gastroenterological Association Institute Press. Bethesda, MD, 2007
- Terdiman JP, Steinbuch M, Blumentals WA, Ullman TA, Rubin DT. 5-Aminosalicyclic Acid Therapy and the Risk of Colorectal Cancer Among Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. IBD Journal. 2007 Apr;13(4):367-71.
- Rubin DT, Losavio A, Yadron N, Huo D, Hanauer, SB. Aminosalicylate Therapy in the Prevention of Dysplasia and Colorectal Cancer in Ulcerative Colitis Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2006;4(11):1346-1350.
- LoSavio AD, Bunnag AP, Rubin DT. Colonic infiltration with chronic myelomonocytic leukemia. Nature Clinical Practice Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2007 April, 4(4):229-233.
- Rubin DT, Rothe JA, Hetzel JT, Cohen R, Hanauer SB. Is Dysplasia and Colorectal Cancer Endoscopically Visible in Patients with Ulcerative Colitis? Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2007 Jun;65(7):998-1004.