Section of Geriatrics
Associate Professor of Medicine
Director of the Geriatrics Fellowship Program; Medical Director, Montgomery Place Health Care Pavilion
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|MD||1979||State University of New York||
|Residency||1982||Cook County Hospital||Internal Medicine
|Residency||1983||Cook County Hospital||Chief Resident
|Fellowship||1985||University of Illinois||Rheumatology
Dr. Brauner’s academic pursuits have focused on interdisciplinary approaches to medical and ethical issues primarily as they affect older people. He is interested in the field of linguistics in an effort to seek novel approaches to improving communication with persons with dementia. Currently he is developing a method for evaluating decision-making capacity in persons with dementia based on linguistics theory and discourse analysis. Another area of interest has been how the presence of dementia affects care of nondementia illnesses.
Geriatrics; arthritis and rheumatic disease in the elderly and nondementia illnesses in patients with dementia.
- Brauner DJ, Muir, JC, Sachs GA. Treating Nondementia Illnesses in Patients with Dementia. JAMA.2000;283:3230-3235.
- Poirier S, Ahrens WR, Brauner DJ. Songs of Innocence and Experience: Student’s Poems about Their Medical Education. Acad Med 73(5):473-478,1998.
- Yingve V, Brauner D. Explorations in Human Linguistics Analysis: An Alzheimer’s Study. The Twenty-Third LACS Forum 1996. Chapel Hill, North Carolina: LACUS, The Linguistic Association of Canada and the United States, 1997.
- Donnelly WJ, Brauner DJ: Why SOAP is bad for the medical records. Arch Intern Med 152:481-484,1992.
- Poirier S, Brauner DJ: Ethics and the Daily Language of Medical Discourse: Hastings Center Report, August/September 1988.