Michelle Le Beau
Section of Hematology / Oncology
Professor of Medicine
Arthur and Marian Edelstein Professor; Director, The University of Chicago Comprehensive Cancer Center; Director, Cancer Cytogenetics Laboratory
|MS||1978||University of Illinois||Pathology
|PhD||1981||University of Illinois||Pathology
|Fellowship||1983||The University of Chicago||Hematology/Oncology
Dr. Le Beau’s research focuses on the molecular analysis of the recurring chromosomal abnormalities in human leukemias and lymphomas, correlating specific abnormalities with morphological and clinical features and the development of risk-adapted therapy. Ongoing projects include the molecular cloning of a myeloid leukemia-related gene involved in the –5/del(5q) characteristic of therapy-related acute myeloid leukemia; genetic characterization of murine models recapitulating the genetic mutations in acute myeloid leukemia and identification of secondary, cooperating mutations and genetic pathways to leukemogenesis; and the application of murine models for pre-clinical drug testing and elucidation of the mechanism for the genetic instability characteristic of chromosomal fragile sites.
- Lai, F., Godley, L.A., Joslin, J., Fernald, A.A., Liu, J., Espinosa, R. 3rd, Zhao, N., Pamintuan, L., Till, B.G., Le Beau, M.M. Transcript map and comparative analysis of the 1.5 Mb commonly deleted segment of human 5q31 in malignant myeloid diseases with a del(5q). Genomics 71:235-245, 2001.
- Corbin, S., Neilly, M.E., Espinosa, R. 3rd, Davis, E.M., McKeithan, T.W., Le Beau, M.M. Identification of unstable sequences within the common fragile site at 3p14.2: Implications for the mechanism of deletions within fragile histidine triad gene/common fragile site at 3p14.2 in tumors. Cancer Res 62:3477-3484, 2002
- Qian, Z., Fernald, A.A., Godley, L.A., Larson, R.A., Le Beau, M.M. Expression profiling of CD34+ hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells reveals distinct subtypes of therapy-related acute myeloid leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99:14925-14930, 2002.
- Le Beau, M.M., Davis, E.M., Patel, B., Phan, V.T., Sohal, J., Kogan, S.C. Recurring chromosomal abnormalities in leukemia in PML-RARA transgenic mice identify cooperating events and genetic pathways to acute promyelocytic leukemia. Blood 102:1072-1074, 2003.
- Smith, S.M., Le Beau, M.M., Huo, D., Karrison, T., Sobecks, R.M., Anastasi, J., Vardiman, J.W., Rowley, J.D., Larson, R.A. Clinical-cytogenetic associations in 306 patients with therapy-related myelodysplasia and myeloid leukemia: the University of Chicago series. Blood, 102:43-52, 2003.