Section of Hematology / Oncology
Associate Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BS||1958||The University of Chicago||Biochemistry
|MD||1962||The University of Chicago||
|MS||1962||The University of Chicago||Pharmacology
|Residency||1964||The University of Chicago||Medicine
|Residency||1967||The University of Chicago||Chief Resident
Dr. Baron’s academic interests are focused on the lymphoproliferative disorders (especially cutaneous lymphomas) and coagulation medicine-both bleeding and clotting disorders. In addition, special attention is paid to clinical consultation in the broad range of classic hematologic disease, including myeloproliferative disorders, hemolytic anemias and thrombocytopenic states.
Lymphoma, coagulation disorders, myeloproliferative disorders, anemia
- Baron BW, Saint Martin M, Sucharetza BS, Jeon HR, and Baron JM. Five patients with both thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: the concept of a mixed immune thrombocytopenia syndrome and indications for plasma exchange. J. Clin Apheresis 16: 179-85, 2001.
- Shammo J, Calhoun B, Mauer AM, Hoffman, PC, Baron JM, and Baron BW. First two cases of immune hemolytic anemia associated with ceftizoxime. Transfusion, 39; 838-44, 1999.
- Baron B.W., Mick R., Baron, J.M. Combined plateletpheresis and cytotoxic chemotherapy for symptomatic thrombocytosis in myeloproliferative disorders. Cancer, 72:1209-1218, 1993.
- Hallahan, D.E., Griem, M.L., Griem, S.F., Medenica, M., Soltani, K., Lorincz, A.L., Baron, J.M. Combined modality therapy for tumor stage mycosis fungoides: Results of a ten year follow-up. J Clin. Oncol. 6: 1177-83, 1988.
- Koshy M, Burd L, Wallace D, Moawad A, and Baron JM. Prophylactic red cell transfusions in pregnant patients with sickle cell disease: A randomized cooperative study. New Engl. J. Med. 319(22): 1447-1452, 1988.