Section of Gastroenterology
Professor of Medicine
Director, Physician Directed Practice, Section of Gastroenterology
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BS||1976||University of Michigan||Biology
|MD||1980||State University of New York||Medicine
|Residency||1983||The University of Chicago||
|Fellowship||1985||The University of Chicago||Gastroenterology
Dr. Hanan’s major academic role is to serve as a clinical educator in the Gastroenterology Fellowship Training Program, teaching gastrointestinal endoscopy, diagnosis and management of general gastrointestinal diseases, including IBD, IBS, gastrointestinal bleeding, among others. He also serves as advisor to fellows pertaining to clinical gastroenterology. Additionally, his role as clinical educator includes teaching and supervision of medical housestaff and students on inpatient services and the gastroenterology consultation service.
Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease & ulcerative colitis), gastrointestinal bleeding, colorectal cancer screening, gastro-esophageal reflux, irritable bowel syndrome
- Bogardus ST, Hanan I, Ruchim M, et al: "Mother-baby" biliary endoscopy: The University of Chicago experience. Am J Gastroenterol 91:105-110, 1995.
- Hanan IM and Hanauer SB: Fulminant colitis and toxic megacolon. In: Intensive Care Medicine, 3rd Edition. Rippe JM, Irwin RS, Fink MP, Cerra FB (Eds), Little Brown and Co., Boston 1996, pp. 1253-1256.
- Hanan, IM: Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage. In: Principles of Critical Care2nd Edition. Hall JB, Schmidt GA, Wood LDH (Eds), McGraw‑Hill,New York, 1997 pp. 1237-1252.
- Hanan, IM: Inflammatory Bowel Disease in the Pregnant Woman. Comprehensive Therapy, 1998; 24 (9); 409-414.
- Dachman AH, Kuniyoshi JK, Boyle CM, Samara Y, Hoffmann KR, Rubin DT, Hanan I,: CT Colography with 3D Problems Solving for Detection of Colonic Polyps. AJR 1998; 171:989-995. (Awarded “Roscoe E. Miller prize” for best scientific paper at the Society of Gastrointestinal Radiologists Meeting, February, 1998.