Section of Emergency Medicine
Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BS||1973||University of Wisconsin||Biology, Chemistry, English
|MD||1977||University of Wisconsin||
|Residency||1980||University of Rochester||Internal Medicine
Dr. Howes is the Director of the Emergency Medicine Residency Program. Within the Pritzker School of Medicine, he serves as a career advisor for one-fourth of the medical school classes.
Interpersonal violence detection and intervention, health screening, ED patient knowledge of advanced directives, communication between physicians and between physicians and patients, and infectious diseases.
- Rhodes KV, Lauderdale DS, Stocking CB, Howes DS, Roizen MF, Levinson W: Better health while you wait: A controlled trial of a computer-based intervention for screening and health promotion in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 2001;37:284-291. PMID: 11223765
- Rhodes KV, Lauderdale DS, He T, Howes DS, Levinson W: "Between me and the computer": Increased detection of partner violence using a computer questionnaire. Ann Emerg Med 2002;40:476-484. PMID: 12399790
- Abella BS, Kuchinic P, Hiraoka T, Howes DS: Atraumatic clostridial myonecrosis: Case report and literature review. J Emerg Med 2003;24:401-05. doi:10.1016/S0736-4679(03)00037-4
- Maddow CL, Shah, MN, Olsen J, Cook S, Howes DS: Efficient communication: Assessment-oriented oral case presentation. Acad Emerg Med 2003;10:842-47.
- Howes DS, Bogner MP: Urinary Tract Infections. In Tintinalli JE, Kelen GD, Stapczynski JS (eds): Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. New York, McGraw-Hill Co., Sixth edition, 2004, p. 606-612