Section of Pulmonary / Critical Care
Professor of Medicine
Ralph W. Gerard Professor;Dean for Medical Education, The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine and The University of Chicago Medical Center
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BA||1979||North Central College||Biology
|MD||1983||The University of Chicago||
|Residency||1986||The University of Chicago||Medicine
|Residency||1987||The University of Chicago||Chief Resident
|Fellowship||1989||The University of Chicago||Pulmonary and Critical Care
Dr. Humphrey's academic interests are in medical education. In her role as Dean for Medical Education she oversees medical education in the medical school and in all of the institution's residency and fellowship programs. For fourteen years she served as Director of the Internal Medicine Residency Program prior to assuming responsibilities as Dean. Dr. Humphrey is a nationally recognized leader in medical education scholarship with a specific focus on the role of mentoring in medical education. She is the editor of Mentoring in Academic Medicine (2010), published as a part of the American College of Physicians series on Teaching Internal Medicine, and has authored numerous publications on issues related to medical education. She is a frequent lecturer and director of faculty development programs for Chief Residents, program directors, and new faculty to the University of Chicago.
Dr. Humphrey’s innovation and leadership are recognized nationally and have led most recently to appointments to the Board of Trustees of the American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation. She previously served on the Board of Directors of the ABIM (2001-2007) including a term as Chair (2006). She is the former President (1995) of the Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine (APDIM). Dr. Humphrey received the Dema C. Daley Founders Award from APDIM in 2005, and in 2010 she was named a Master by the American College of Physicians. In 2009, Crain’s Chicago Business featured her as one of their “Women to Watch” and in 2010, the YWCA of Metropolitan Chicago honored her with their Outstanding Leader Award in the Professions.
- Humphrey H. Osler in a Brave New World. Academic Medicine. 2008; 83 (10): 897-899.
- Humphrey H, Levinson D, Smith L. The Medical School on the University Campus: 20th Century Legacy and 21st Century Aspirations. Academic Medicine. 2010 Feb; 85 (2): 273-82.
- Arora V, Wayne D, Anderson R, Didwania A, Farnan J, Reddy S, Humphrey H. Changes in Perception of and Participation in Unprofessional Behaviors During Internship. Academic Medicine. 2010; 85 (10): S76-S80.
- Humphrey H, Schumann S, Levinson D, Rogers N, Derks L, Whitaker E. The University of Chicago REACH Program: Improving Health, Decreasing Debt. Academic Medicine. 2010; 85 (11): 1677.
- Arora V, Farnan J, Lypson M, Anderson R, Humphrey H. Incoming Intern Perspectives on the IOM Recommendations for Residents’ Duty Hours. Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2010; 2 (4): 536-540. doi: 10.4300/JGME-D-10-00049.1.