Section of Nephrology
Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BA||1979||University of Pennsylvania||Psychobiology
|MD||1983||University of Pennsylvania||
|Residency||1986||The University of Chicago||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||1991||The University of Chicago||Nephrology
Dr Josephson focuses on disorders of the transplant patient including infection, bone disorders and gender specific issues. Studies of new immunosuppressants have been done in collaboration with the transplant surgery program. Another area of interest includes transplant and society, explored through a study that evaluates whether living kidney transplants can be ethically increased by performing paired kidney exchanges, another that asks whether potential donors with kidney stones can safely donate a kidney, and a NIH-sponsored multi-center study that evaluates whether kidney transplantation is safe for HIV positive patients. She established the University of Chicago AST/ASN certified Transplant Nephrology Fellowship.
Medical care to renal transplant recipients including evaluation kidney transplant function as well as management of hypertension, bone disease, hyperlipidemia and BK nephropathy. Medical evaluation of the living donor.
- Sprague SM, Josephson MA. Bone disease after kidney transplantation Seminars in Nephrology 24:82-90, 2004.
- McKay D, Josephson MA: Reproduction and transplantation: Report on the AST consensus conference on reproductive issues in transplantation. American Journal of Transplantation 5: 1592-1599, 2005
- Josephson MA, Gillen D, Javaid B, Kadambi PV, Meehan S,Foster P,Harland R,Thistlethwaite JR, Garfinkel M, Atwood W, Jordan J, Sadhu A, Millis JM, Williams JW: Treatment of renal allograft polyoma BK virus infection with leflunomide. Transplantation 81: 704-10, 2006
- Josephson MA, Williams JW, Chandraker A, Randhawa PS. Clinical Observations Using Anti-Viral Strategies to Treat BK Viruruia and Nephropathy. Transplant Infectious Diseases 8: 95-101, 2006
- McKay DB, Josephson MA: Pregnancy in recipients of solid organs-effects on mother and child. N Eng J Med 354: 1281-93, 2006