Professor of Anesthesia and Critical Care
|BS||1973||University of Illinois||Biology
|MD||1977||The University of Chicago||
|Residency||1980||The University of Chicago||Internal Medicine
|Residency||1981||The University of Chicago||Chief Resident
|Fellowship||1983||The University of Chicago||Critical Care
Dr. Hall has worked to develop the intensive care units of the University of Chicago to not only provide exemplary care but to serve as laboratories for bedside clinical investigation in critically ill patients. Dr. Hall studies the mechanisms and treatment of cardiopulmonary failure, pathophysiology of sepsis, pharmacology in the ICU, and outcomes from critical illness. His research group has conducted more than 80 research protocols focused on these areas, enrolling more than 3900 patients in both single and multi-center studies. The critical care clinical investigation group includes faculty, fellows and residents in training, study coordinators and statisticians. The University of Chicago has participated in the NIH-funded ARDSnet as well as other multi-center study groups. In addition to the generation and implementation of study protocols, fellows benefit from structured didactic courses concerning study design, biostatistics, ethical and regulatory considerations, and other relevant topics.
Critical care medicine, mechanical ventilation, respiratory failure, asthma, home mechanical ventilation and pulmonary hypertension.
- Hall JB, Kress JP.The burden of functional recovery from ARDS.N Engl J Med. 2011 Apr 7;364(14):1358-9
- Hall JB. Creating the animated intensive care unit.Crit Care Med. 2010 Oct;38(10 Suppl):S668-75. Review.
- Pohlman MC, Schweickert WD, Pohlman AS, Nigos C, Pawlik AJ, Esbrook CL, Spears L, Miller M, Franczyk M, Deprizio D, Schmidt GA, Bowman A, Barr R, McCallister K, Hall JB, Kress JP.Feasibility of physical and occupational therapy beginning from initiation of mechanical ventilation.Crit Care Med. 2010 Nov;38(11):2089-94.
- Vincent JL, Singer M, Marini JJ, Moreno R, Levy M, Matthay MA, Pinsky M, Rhodes A, Ferguson ND, Evans T, Annane D, Hall JB. Thirty years of critical care medicine.Crit Care. 2010;14(3):311.
- Kahn JM, Hall JB. More doctors to the rescue in the intensive care unit: a cautionary note.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010 Jun 1;181(11):1160-1.