Section of Pulmonary / Critical Care
Associate Professor of Medicine
Director, Internal Medicine Residency Program;Vice Chair of Education
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BA||1990||University of Notre Dame||Philosophy
|MD||1994||Pennsylvania State University||
|Residency||1997||The University of Chicago||Internal Medicine
|Residency||1998||The University of Chicago||Chief Resident
|Fellowship||2001||The University of Chicago||Pulmonary and Critical Care
Dr. McConville, working with Dr. Julian Solway, has focused on the role of serum response factor’s cytoplasmic-nuclear translocation in the accumulation of smooth muscle specific proteins. This work, carried out in a cell culture system, could have implications for parallel mechanisms that may operate during airway smooth muscle hypertrophy that occurs in asthma. Additionally, Dr. McConville is designing clinical studies to investigate the interaction between obesity and asthma.
Obstructive lung disease (asthma, COPD) and obesity, pulmonary hypertension.
- Camoretti-Mercado B, Liu HW, Halayko AJ, Forsythe SM, Kyle JW, Li B, Fu Y, McConville J, Kogut P, Vieira JE, Patel NM, Hershenson MB, Fuchs E, Sinha S, Miano JM, Parmacek MS, Burkhardt JK, Solway J. Physiological control of smooth muscle-specific gene expression through regulated nuclear translocation of serum response factor. J Biol Chem 2000; 275(39): 30387-93.
- McConville, J., Rubin, D., Humphrey, H., Carson, S. Effects of Billing and Documentation Requirements on the Quantity and Quality of Teaching by Attending Physicians. Academic Medicine 2001:76(11): 1144-1147.
- McConville JF. “Acute Leukemia” in Principles of Critical Care, Companion Handbook, Second Edition. Ed. Hall JB, Schmidt GA, Wood LDH. New York, 1999.
- Liu HW, Halayko AJ, Fernandes DJ, Harmon GS, McCauley JA, Kocieniewski P, McConville JF, FU Y, Forsythe SM, Kogut P, Bellam S, Dowell M, Churchill J, Lesso H, Kassiri K, Mitchell RW, Hershenson MB, Camoretti-Mercado B, Solway J. The RhoA/Rho kinase pathway regulates nuclear localization of serum response factor. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2003;29(1):39-47.
- Forsythe SM, Kogut PC, McConville JF, Fu Y, McCauley JA, Halayko AJ, Liu HW, Kao A, Fernandes DJ, Bellam S, Fuchs E, Sinha S, Bell GI, Camoretti-Mercado B, Solway J. Structure and Transcription of the Human m3 Muscarinic Receptor Gene. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2002; 26(3): 298-305.