Section of Hematology / Oncology
Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BA||1990||Northwestern University||Biological Sciences
|Residency||1997||Northwestern University||Internal Medicine
|Residency||1998||Northwestern University||Chief Resident
|Fellowship||2001||The University of Chicago||Hematology/Oncology
Dr. Smith is interested in the development of promising agents for patients with non-Hodgkins and Hodgkins lymphoma. She is principal investigator on a number of innovative clinical trials. Many of the trials incorporate the collection of tumor and blood samples to study the effects of treatment on cancer cells through collaborative laboratories. She is also interested in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation and its role in improving the survival of patients with relapsed lymphomas.
Lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease, stem cell transplantation
- Smith SM. Non-myeloablative Transplantation for Lymphoma. Current Treat Options Oncol, 2003 Aug;4(4):261-8.
- Smith SM and van Besien K. Mediastinal lymphomas. In Textbook of Cardiothoracic Surgery, in press.
- Smith SM, Grinblatt DL, Van Besien, K. Autologous and Allogeneic Transplantation for aggressive non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas. Cytotherapy 4(3):223, 2002.
- Smith SM, LeBeau MM, Huo D, Karrison T, Sobecks RM, Anastasi J, Vardiman JW, Rowley JD, Larson RA. Clinical-Cytogenetic Associations in 306 Patients with Therapy-Related Myeloid Leukemia (t-AML) at the University of Chicago. Blood, 2003 Jul 1;102 (1):43-52.
- Van Besien K, Smith S, Anastasi J, Larson R, Thirman M, Odenike T, Stock W. Irreversible Myelosuppression after Fludarabine-Melphalan conditioning: Observations in Patients with Graft Rejection. Letter to the editor, Blood 2004 June 1;103(11):4373-4