Section of Gastroenterology
Associate Professor of Medicine
|MS||1986||Wuhan University||Molecular Virology
|PhD||1991||Kent State University||Biochemistry
|Fellowship||1997||Massachusetts General Hospital||Medicine
|Fellowship||1997||Harvard Medical School||Medicine
Dr. Li ‘s main research interest is the vitamin D endocrine system. His lab is exploring the functions of vitamin D using molecular, cellular and genetic approaches. Their current research focuses on several areas: 1) vitamin D regulation of the renin-angiotensin system and blood pressure as well as mineral metabolism, including renal handling of calcium, phosphate, sulfate and water; 2) exploring roles of the vitamin D receptor in adipogenesis and lipid metabolism in cells and animals; 3) chemoprevention of vitamin D against colon cancer genesis and development; 4)mechanism of vitamin D receptor regulation of the hair growth cycle.
- Kong J, Li XJ, Gavin D, Jiang Y, Li YC. (2002) Targeted expression of human vitamin D receptor in the skin promotes the initiation of postnatal hair follicular cycle and rescues the alopecia in vitamin D receptor null mice. J. Invest. Dermatol. 118:631-638.
- Li YC, Kong J, Wei M, Chen Z-F, Liu SQ, Cao L-P. (2002) 1,25-Dihydroxy-vitamin D3 is a negative endocrine regulator of the renin-angiotensin system. J. Clin. Invest. 110:229-238.
- Kong J, Li YC. (2003) Effect of ANG II type I receptor antagonist and ACE inhibitor on vitamin D receptor-null mice. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 285:R255-R261.
- Bolt MJG, Liu W, Qiao G, Kong J, Zheng W, Krausz T, Cs-Szabo G, Sitrin MD, Li YC (2004) Critical role of vitamin D in sulfate homeostasis: Regulation of the sodium-sulfate co-transporter by 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab., 287:E744-E749
- Xiang W, Kong J, Chen S, Cao L-P, Qiao G, Zheng W, Liu W, Li X, Gardner DG, Li YC. (2004) Cardiac Hypertrophy in Vitamin D Receptor Knockout Mice: Role of the systemic and cardiac renin-angiotensin systems. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab., in press