Section of Cardiology
Associate Professor of Medicine
Director, Cardiac Magnetic Resonance;Interim Director, Cardiac Computed Tomography
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|Residency||2003||University of Chicago||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2006||Temple University||Cardiovascular Disease
|Fellowship||2006||Temple University||Chief Fellow
|Fellowship||2008||University of Virginia||Cardiac Imaging
Cardiac magnetic resonance and cardiac computed tomography are rapidly evolving non-invasive techniques being used to image heart function and anatomy. They offer detailed images of the myocardium, myocardial blood flow, and coronary artery anatomy. Dr. Patel’s research is focused on the development of novel cardiac MRI and cardiac CT techniques for stress testing the heart. He is particularly interested in better defining how these newer approaches should be incorporated into routine clinical practice. His other interests include the study of abnormalities in heart muscle and myocardial blood flow that occur in patients with disorders such as diabetes, sarcoidosis, and sickle cell anemia.
Dr. Patel has specific expertise in cardiac MRI and cardiac CT. His other clinical interests include cardiac stress testing, evaluation of chest pain, diabetic heart disease, infiltrative cardiomyopathy, and general cardiology.
- Patel AR, Antkowiak PF, Nandalur KR, West AM, Salerno M, Arora V, Christopher J, Epstein FH, Kramer CM. Assessment of Advance Coronary Artery Disease: Advantages of Quantitative Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Perfusion Analysis. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2010; 56:561-9 (PMID: 20688211).
- Patel AR, Lodato JA, Chandra S, Kachenoura N, Ahmad H, Freed BH, Newby B, Lang RM, Mor-Avi V. Detection of Myocardial Perfusion Abnormalities Using Ultra-Low Radiation Dose Regadenoson Stress Multidetector Computed Tomography. Journal of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography 2011; 5:247-254 (PMID: 21723516).
- Patel AR, Klein MR, Chandra S, Spencer KT, DeCara JM, Lang RM, Burke MC, Garrity ER, Hogarth DK, Archer SL, Sweiss NJ, Beshai JF. Myocardial Damage in Patients with Sarcoidosis and Preserved Left Ventricular Systolic Function: An Observational Study. European Journal of Heart Failure 2011;13(11):1231-7. (PMID: 21810833).
- Addetia K,Bhave NM, Tabit CE, Gomberg-Maitland M, Freed BH, Dill KE, Lang RM, Mor-Avi V, Patel AR. Sample Size and Cost Analysis for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Drug Trials Using Various Imaging Modalities to Assess Right Ventricular Size and Function Endpoints. Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging 2013. (PMID: 24192452). In Press
- Freed BH, Narang A, Bhave NM, Czobor P, Mor-Avi V, Zaran ER, Turner KM, Cavanaugh KP, Chandra S, Tanaka SM, Davidson MH, Lang RM, Patel AR. Prognostic Value of Normal Regadenson Stress Magnetic Resonance Myocardial Perfusion Imaging. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. In Press