Section of Hematology / Oncology
Associate Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BA||1991||University of Chicago||Public Policy
|MPH||1992||Universityof Chicago||Public Policy
|Residency||2003||University of Chicago||Internal Medicine
|MS||2006||The University of Chicago||Health Studies
|Fellowship||2006||The University of Chicago||Hematology/Oncology
Dr. Polite specializes in the treatment of gastrointestinal malignancies with a particular focus on colon and rectal cancer as well as on neuroendocrine tumors. Dr. Polite is the Principal Investigator at the University of Chicago for several national trials aimed at advancing our treatment of colon and rectal cancer at all stages including for individuals whose tumor has grown despite standard treatments. In conjunction with the recently established Center for GI Oncology at the University of Chicago, Dr. Polite works closely with national and international experts in surgical and radiation oncology and interventional gastroenterology. Through this team approach, individualized treatment plans can be established for each patient. In addition to his primary clinical responsibilities, Dr. Polite’s research has focused on understanding racial and ethnic differences in colon, breast and lung cancer outcomes and in trying to understand the link between obesity and colon cancer recurrence as well as the link between blood clots and colon cancer development
- Polite BN, Olopade OI. Breast Cancer and Race: A rising tide does not lift all boats equally. Perspectives in Biology and Medicine. 2005;48(suppl 1):S166-S175.
- Polite BN, Lamont EB. Are Venous Thromboembolic Events Associated with Subsequent Breast and Colon Cancer Diagnoses in the Elderly? A Case-Control Trial of Medicare Beneficiaries. Cancer. 2006;106(4):923-30.
- Polite BN, Dignam JJ, Olopade OI. A Colorectal Cancer Model of Health Disparities: Understanding Mortality Differences in Minority Populations. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2006;24(14):2179-2187.
- Dignam JJ, Polite BN, Yothers G, Raich P, Colangelo L, O’Connell M, Wolmark N. Effect of Body Mass Index on Outcomes in Patients with Dukes’ B and C Colon Cancer: An Analysis of NSABP Randomized Trials C-04 and C-05-Manuscript Accepted, Journal of the National Cancer Institute
- Polite BN, Cirrincione C , Fleming GF, Berry DA, Seidman AD, Muss H, Norton L, Hudis C, Winer EP. Understanding racial differences in outcome from metastatic breast cancer (MBC): A pooled analysis of Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB) 9342 and 9840-Manuscript in process