Section of Dermatology
Professor of Medicine (Seconday Appointment)
|BS||1971||University of South Carolina||Electrical Engineering
|MS||1975||Drexel University||Biomedical Engineering
|PhD||1979||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Biomedical Engineering
|Residency||1981||University of Chicago||Surgery
|Residency||1983||Massachusetts General Hospital||Plastic Surgery
In general, electromagnetic (including ionizing) fields on tissue growth, repair and morphogenesis. Specifically areas of active focus are therapeutic approaches to restore cell organelle structural integrity following exposure to extensive ionizing radiation injury levels ranging from sunburn to nuclear power plant diasters like Chernobyl. ( see: http://etrp.bsd.uchicago.edu) The research team has developed biocompatible surfactant copolymers that seal disrupted cell membranes . Others surfactants were discovered to chaperone refolding of denatured proteins which would be of particular important in skin diseases .
Aesthetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Also, has on going interest in laser for treatment of vascular malformations and hair removal. Directs, the University of Chicago Scar Clinic for patients with serious scar management problems.
- Lee, RC., Despa, F., Hamann, KT. Cell Injury: Mechanisms, Responses and Repair. Annals of the New York Acad. of Science, Vol. 1066, 2006
- Roseborough, IE, Grevious, MA and Lee, RC.Prevention and Treatment of Excessive Dermal Scaring.J Natl Med Assoc. Jan;96(1):108-16 2004
- Greenebaum, B., Blossfield, K. Carrillo, C.S., Hannig, J., Beckett, M.A., Weichselbaum, R.R. and Lee, R.C. Poloxamer 188 Prevents Acute Necrosis of Adult Skeletal Muscle Fibers after High-dose Irradiation.Burns 30(6):539-547, 2004
- Despa, F, Orgill, DP, Neuwalder, J. and Lee RC.Effects of Crowding on the Thermal Stability of Heterogeneous Protein Solutions.
Ann. Biomed Engineering 33(8): 1125-1131, 2005
- Cooke, G.L., Chien, A.., Brodsky, A. and Lee RC.Is the Incidence of Hypertrophic Scars among African-Americans Linked to Vitamin D3 Metabolism? J Nat’l Med Assoc. 97(7):1004-9, 2005