Section of Cardiology
Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|MD||1994||The Medical College of Pennsylvania||
|Residency||1997||Boston University ||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2000||Boston Medical Center||Cardiovascular Medicine
Dr. De Cara’s recent research interests focus on identifying patients at risk for cardiovascular disease by exploring the association between heart and vascular imaging and genetics. In addition, she is interested in using cardiac imaging to identify patients at risk for cardiac side effects associated with cancer treatment.
Dr. De Cara is a general cardiologist who treats patients with a wide array of problems such as coronary artery disease, heart failure, abnormal stress tests, hypertension and hypercholesterolemia and other cardiovascular disorders. She has a particular interest in diagnosing and treating heart disorders among patients receiving or about to receive chemotherapy as well as those with heart valve disorders.
- Korcarz CE, Hirsch AT, Bruce C, De Cara JM, Mohler E, Pogue B, Postley J, Tzou WS, Stein JH. Carotid intima-media thickness testing by non-sonographer clinicians: the office practice assessment of carotid atherosclerosis (OPACA) study. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2008; 21: 117-22
- Stein JH, Tzou WS, De Cara JM, Hirsch AT, Mohler ER, Ouyang P, Pearce GL, Davidson MH. Usefulness of skin cholesterol to identify individuals at increased cardiovascular risk (from the Predictor of Advanced Subclinical Atherosclerosis Study). Am J Cardiol 2008; 101: 986-991.
- Korcarz CE, De Cara JM, Hirsch AT, Mohler ER, Pogue B, Postley J, Tzou WS, Stein JH. Ultrasound detection of increased carotid intima-media thickness and carotid plaque in an office practice setting: Does it affect physician behavior or patient motivation? J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2008; 21:1156-62.
- Douglas PS, De Cara JM, Devereux RB, Duckworth S, Gardin JM, Jaber WA, Morehead AJ, Oh JK, Picard MH, Solomon SD, Wei K, Weissman NJ. Echocardiographic imaging in clinical trials: American Society of Echocardiography Standards for echocardiography core laboratories: endorsed by the American College of Cardiology Foundation. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2009; 22(7):755-65.
- De Cara, JM. Carotid intima-media thickness and risk for coronary heart disease. Current Cardiovascular Imaging Reports 2009; 2: 350-55.