Section of Nephrology
Associate Professor of Medicine
Medical Director of the Home Dialysis Program
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BS||1975||University of Illinois||Biology
|MD||1979||University of Illinois||
|Residency||1982||University of Illinois||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||1983||University of Illinois||Nephrology
|Fellowship||1987||University of Connecticut||Nephrology
Dr. Kohn leads the Minority Recruitment Center for The Family Investigation of Nephropathy and Diabetes (FIND) . FIND is a multicenter consortium established by the NIH to identify the genes responsible for diabetic nephropathy. Our research focuses on African American and Mexican American families who are disproportionately affected by kidney disease. Affected sib pairs and discordant sib pairs are enrolled in the study for the family based linkage analyses. Other research interests include Daily Home Hemodialysis (Quotidian Dialysis) using ultra pure dialysate and factors which improve technique survival amongst Peritoneal Dialysis patients.
Diabetic nephropathy, optimizing care of the pre-ESRD patient, acid base and electrolyte abnormalities.
- Kohn OF, Coe FL, Ing TS. Solute kinetics with short-daily home hemodialysis using slow dialysate flow rate. Hemodial Int 2010;14:47-54. PMID: 19758296
- OF Kohn, Eadon MT, Kjellstrand CM and Ing TS. The history of isolated ultrafiltration. In: Dialysis: history, development and promise. Editors: Ing TS, Rahman MA, Kjellstrand CM. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2012
- OF Kohn, Chazot C, Kjellstrand CM and Ing TS. The story of sodium restriction in dialysis patients. In:Dialysis: history, development and promise. Editors: Ing TS, Rahman MA, Kjellstrand CM. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2012
- Agar BU, Troidle L, Finkelstein FO, Kohn OF, Akonur A, Leypoldt JK. Patient-specific phosphorus mobilization clearance during nocturnal and short daily hemodialysis. Hemodial Int. 2012; 16 (4): 491-496. PMID: 22574966
- Kohn OF, Kjellstrand CM, Ing TS. Dual-Concentrate bicarbonate-based hemodialysis: Know your buffers. Artif Organs. 2012; 36 (9): 765-768. PMID:22924819