Section of Hematology / Oncology
Associate Professor of Medicine
Clinical Director, Hematopoietic Cellular Therapy Program
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BA||1992||University of Colorado||Molecular Biology
|MD||1997||West Virginia University ||
|Residency||2001||Georgetown University||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2004||The University of Chicago||Hematology- Oncology
Dr. Artz’s interests reside in the field of geriatric hematology (i.e. hematologic conditions in older adults, such as leukemia, myelodysplasia, and anemia). He has an active clinical and research practice evaluating and treating anemia in older adults. A major focus is to understand the pathophysiology of anemia of unknown etiology among older adults (a.k.a. unexplained anemia). He is currently conducting an interventional trial studying the impact of therapy. Another area of clinical practice and active research is evaluating older adults undergoing allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. He is examining factors that influence transplant toxicity to enable approaches allowing reduced complications from transplant, especially for older adults.
Geriatric hematology, anemia, stem cell transplant, leukemia
- Artz AS, Pollyea D, Stock W, Daugherty C, Godley L, Odenike O, Rich E, Smith S, Zimmerman T, Larson R, Extermann M, van Besien K. Performance Status and Comorbidity Predict Transplant Related Mortality After Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. Biol. Blood Marrow Transplant. In press.
- Artz AS, Kocherginsky M, Van Besien K. Order of Patient Entry Influences Outcome For Metastatic Renal Cell Cancer after Non-myeloablative Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant. Br. J. Haem. Marc; 132(6): 747-754. 2006.
- Van Besien K, Artz AS, Smith S, Cao D, Rich S, Godley L, Jones D, Del Cerro P, Bennett D, Casey B, Odenike O, Thirman M, Daugherty C, Wickrema A, Larson RA, Stock W. Fludarabine melphalan alemtuzumab (Campath-1H) conditioning in adults with advanced AML and MDS. Excellent outcomes in patients with standard risk disease. J Clin Oncol 23(24): 5728-5738 2005.
- Artz AS, Fergusson D, Drinka PJ, Gerald M, Bidenbender R, Lechich A, Silverstone F, McCamish MA, Ershler WB. Mechanisms of Unexplained Anemia in the Nursing-Home. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 52(3): 423-427. 2004.
- Artz AS, Fergusson D, Ershler WB et al. Prevalence of Anemia Among Skilled Nursing-Home Residents. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 39(3):201-206. 2004.