Section of Geriatrics
Associate Professor of Medicine
Interim Chief, Section of Geriatrics & Palliative Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BS||1993||University of Illinois||Biology
|MD||1997||Rush Medical College||
|Residency||2000||Mount Sinai Hospital||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2001||Mount Sinai Hospital||Geriatrics
|Fellowship||2002||The University of Chicago||Geriatrics
Dr. Levine’s academic interests focus on teaching palliative care medicine and care of the older adult on the inpatient medical setting. More specifically she is dedicated to improving the recognition and treatment of pain as well as fostering conversations about prognosis to improve transitions of care in patients with limited life expectancy. She has developed a bedside index used to prognosticate 1-year mortality in older adults after hospital discharge and hopes to use it in future work to aid clinicians in discussions of goals of care with their patients.
Pain management, hazards of hospitalization, palliative care, prognosis, dementia, delirium, and transitions of care.
- Dale W, Bilir SP, Han M, Meltzer D. The role of anxiety in prostate carcinoma: a structured review of the literature. Cancer, 2005; 104:467-78.
- S Levine, G Sachs, L Jin, J Shega, J Arneson, D Meltzer. Development of a Prognostic Model Using Administrative Data on Hospitalized Elderly Adults. American Geriatrics Society, 2002; Washington, DC. J Am Geriatric Soc 2002 April; 50(4) S164.
- Dale W, Basu A, Elstein A, Meltzer D. Predicting utility ratings for joint health states from single health states in prostate cancer: empirical testing of three alternative theories. Med Dec Making, In press.
- Dale W, Hemmerich J, Meltzer D. Further validation of the Memorial Anxiety Scale for Prostate Cancer (MAX-PC) in African American and white men at the time of prostate biopsy. Psycho-Oncology, In Press, Published online DOI: 10.1002/pon.1107.
- Dale W, Hougham GW, Hill EK, Sachs GS. High interest in screening and treatment for mild cognitive impairment in older adults: a pilot study. J Am Geriatr Soc, 2006, 54:1388-94.