Section of Nephrology
Associate Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BA||1996||Johns Hopkins University||Biophysics
|MD||2001||State University of New York||Medicine
|Residency||2004||The University of Chicago Medical Center||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2007||The University of Chicago Medical Center||Nephrology
Dr. Koyner has a clinical research concentration in Acute Kidney Injury (AKI). He studies novel plasma and urinary biomarkers as a mechanism to prevent the development of AKI. Dr. Koyner is currently involved in trials aimed at preventing and treating AKI through the use of therapeutic agents as well as renal replacement therapy. His research also focuses on the effect of genetic variation on the development of AKI in the setting of cardiothoracic surgery and critical illness.
Acute kidney injury, critical care nephrology, chronic kidney disease
- Haase M, Devarajan P, Haase Fileitz A, Bellomo R, Wagener G, Koyner J, Murray PT, Ware K, Ikilizer I et al.The Outcome of Neutrophil Gelatinase-Associated Lipocalin (NGAL) positive Subclinical Acute Kidney Injury: A Multicenter Pooled Analysis of Prospective Studies Journal of the American College of Cardiology. In press Accepted November 2010.
- Koyner JL, Vaidya VS, Bennet M, Ma Q, Worcester EM, Akther SA, Raman J, Jeevanandam V, O’Connor MF, Devarajan P, Bonventre JV and Murray PT. Urinary Biomarkers in the Clinical Prognosis and Early Detection of Acute Kidney Injury. (2010) Clinical Journal of American Society of Nephrology ePublished August 26, 2010
- Haase M, Bellomo R, Devarajan P, Schlattmann P, Haase-Fielitz A; NGAL Meta-analysis Investigator Group Accuracy of Neutrophil Gelatinase-Associated Lipocalin (NGAL) in Diagnosis and Prognosis in Acute Kidney Injury: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. (2009) Am J Kidney Dis. Dec;54(6):1012-24
- Lu JC, Coca SG, Patel UD, Cantley L, Parikh CR; Translational Research Investigating Biomarkers and Endpoints for Acute Kidney Injury (TRIBE-AKI) Consortium. Searching for genes that matter in acute kidney injury: a systematic review. (2009) Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. Jun;4(6):1020-31.
- Koyner JL, Bennett, M Worcester E, Ma, Q Raman J, Jeeaenandam V, Kasza KE, O’Connor MF, Trevino S, Devarajan, P and Murray PT. (2008) Urinary Cystatin C: A Novel Early Biomarker of AKI Development and Severity after Adult Cardiothoracic Surgery. Kidney Int. Oct;74(8):1059-69. Epub 2008 Jul 23.