Section of Pulmonary / Critical Care
Associate Professor of Medicine
Director, Sleep Research Center
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|MD||1995||University of Istanbul||
|Fellowship||1996||University of Istanbul||Pulmonary Medicine
|Fellowship||2001||The University of Chicago||Sleep Medicine
|Fellowship||2004||The University of Chicago||Endocrinology
Dr.Tasali is interested in studying the links between sleep and metabolic, endocrine and cardiovascular functions. Dr.Tasali’s current research focuses on the role of sleep disturbances in the development of metabolic and endocrine abnormalities including type 2 diabetes, obesity and metabolic syndrome
Sleep disorders with a specific interest in obstructive sleep apnea
- Broussard J, Ehrmann D, Van Cauter E, Tasali E*, Brady M*. Impaired Insulin Signaling in Human Adipocytes Following Experimental Sleep Restriction the Adipocyte. Annals of Internal Medicine, 2012 Oct 16
- Tasali E, Leproult R, Ehrmann D and Van Cauter E. Slow Wave Sleep and The Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Humans. PNAS 2008; 105 (3): 1044-49.
- Spiegel K, Tasali E, Penev P, Van Cauter E. Sleep curtailment in healthy young men is associatedwith decreased leptin levels, elevated ghrelin levels and increased hunger and appetite. Annals of Internal Medicine 2004; 141(11): 846-5.
- Aronsohn R, Whitmore H, Van Cauter E and Tasali E. Impact of Untreated Obstructive Sleep apnea on Glucose Control in Type 2Diabetes. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2010 Mar 1;181(5):507-13.
- Pamidi S, Wroblewski K, Broussard J, Day A, Hanlon E, Abraham V, Tasali E. Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Young Lean Men: Impact on Insulin Sensitivity and Secretion. Diabetes Care, 2012; Agu 21