Section of Hospital Medicine
Associate Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BA||1998||University of Chicago||Biological Sciences
|MD||2002||University of Chicago||Medicine
|Residency||2005||University of Chicago||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2007||University of Chicago, Dept of Medicine||Hospitalist Scholars Training Program
|MHPE||2009||University of Illinois at Chicago, Dept of Medical Education||Health Education
Dr. Farnan is interested in curricular innovation in medical education, in particular at times of transition; the impact of supervision on resident education and patient care; curriculum reform and clinical exposure during internal medicine sub-internship training.
- Farnan JM, Johnson J, Humphrey H, Meltzer D, Arora VM. “The Tension Between On-Call Supervision and Resident Autonomy: From the Micromanager to the Absentee Attending”. American Journal of Medicine. 2009;122(8):784-8
- Farnan JM, Paro JAM, Rodriguez R, Reddy ST, Horwitz L, Arora VM. “Hand-off Education and Evaluation: Piloting the Observed Simulated Hand-off Experience (OSHE). JGIM. 2010; 25(2): 129-134.
- Farnan JM, Johnson JK, Meltzer DO, Harris I, Humphrey HJ, Schwartz A, Arora VM. "Strategies for Effective On-Call Supervision for Internal Medicine Residents: The SUPERB/SAFETY Model. Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2010;2(1):46-52
- Farnan JM, Higa J, Paro J, Reddy S, Humphrey HJ, Arora VM. Usage and Perceptions of Policy Regarding Digital Media among Medical Trainees. American Journal of Bioethics: Primary Research. 2010;1(1):3-10
- Farnan JM, Paro JP, Higa J, Reddy S, Humphrey H, Arora V. “The Relationship Status of Digital Media and Professionalism: It’s Complicated”. Academic Medicine. 2009; 84(11):1479-81.