Section of Cardiology
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|MD||2003||The University of Chicago||
|Residency||2006||University of Chicago||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2009||Northwestern University||Cardiovascular Diseases
|Fellowship||2014||Northwestern University||Interventional Cardiology
John Blair, MD, is cardiologist who specializes in the care of complex coronary artery disease, structural heart disease, and heart failure. Dr. Blair performs a wide range of procedures for the diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease, including balloon angioplasty, thrombectomy, rotational and excimer laser athrectomy, intravascular ultrasound imaging, repair of atrial septal defects, transcatheter aortic valve replacement, and percutaneous advanced circulatory support. Dr. Blair has extensive training and research in the use of transradial catheterization and intervention, a method of catheterization associated with reduced bleeding and enhanced patient comfort. He is one of few cardiologists who perform coronary physiology studies, which aid in diagnosing coronary microvascular dysfunction in a range of challenging clinical scenarios. He is also well-trained in the treatment of valvular heart disease, with a particular focus on mitral valve therapies such as percutaneous mitral valve repair.
His research interests focus on coronary microvascular dysfunction in patients with heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.
Complex coronary artery disease,aortic valve disease,mitral valve disease,coronary physiology and coronary microvascular dysfunction, and congestive heart failure.
- Huded CP, Blair JE, Sweis RN, Flaherty JD. Trans-radial Cardiac Catheterization in the Liver Transplant Candidate. Am J Cardiol. 2014 May 15;113(10):1634-8. PMID: 24698460.
- Blair JE, Ricciardi MJ. Assessment of Coronary Blood Flow in the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory. Curr Prob Cardiol. 2014 Jun;29(6): 159-84. PMID: 24856032.
- Blair JE, Huffman M, Shah SJ. Heart Failure in North America. Curr Cardiol Rev. 2013 May;9(2):128-46. PMID: 23597296.
- Blair JE, Pang PS, Schrier RW, Metra M, Traver B, Cook T, Campia U, Ambrosy A, Burnett JC Jr, Grinfeld L, Maggioni AP, Swedberg K, Udelson JE, Zannad F, Konstam MA, Gheorghiade M; EVEREST Investigators. Changes in renal function during hospitalization and soon after discharge in patients admitted for worsening heart failure in the placebo group of the EVEREST trial. Eur Heart J. 2011 Oct;32(20):2563-72. PMID: 21785107.
- Blair JE, Khan S, Konstam MA, Swedberg K, Zannad F, Burnett JC, Grinfeld L, Maggioni AP, Udelson JE, Zimmer CA, Ouyang J, Chien-Feng C, Gheorghiade M. Weight changes after hospitalization for worsening heart failure and subsequent re-hospitalisation and mortality in the EVEREST trial. Eur Heart J. 2009;30(13):1666-73. PMID: 19561338.