Section of Pulmonary / Critical Care
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|PhD||2005||The University of Chicago||Cellular Physiology
|Fellowship||2006||Northwestern University||Research - Cellular Physiology
|MD||2008||The University of Chicago||
|Residency||2010||Barnes-Jewish Hospital||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2014||Washington University||Pulmonary and Critical Care
|Fellowship||2015||Washington University||Research - Pulmonary and Critical Care
Dr. Guzy's research is focused on the mechanisms involved in recovery from lung injury, and how aberrant recovery from injury leads to fibroblast activation and the development of pulmonary fibrosis. He is interested in cellular mechanisms by which growth Fibroblast Growth Factors act as reparative agents following injury, and how this signaling interacts with TGF-beta and other pro-fibrotic growth factors in fibroblasts to promote pulmonary fibrosis. Current work in his laboratory uses a combination of transgenic mouse models, animal models of lung injury and pulmonary fibrosis, and human translational studies.
Advanced Lung Diseases, Lung Transplantation, Interstitial Lung Diseases
- Guzy RD, Stoilov I, Elton TJ, Mecham RP, Ornitz DM. 2015. FGF2 is required for epithelial recovery, but not for pulmonary fibrosis, in response to bleomycin. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. Jan;52(1):116-28
- Kulkarni HS, Guzy RD, McEvoy C. YKL-40 in pediatric asthma, MUC5B promoter polymorphism in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, and esmolol in septic shock. 2014. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. May 1;189(9):1138-40.
- Guzy R.D., Sharma B., Bell E., Chandel N.S., Schumacker P.T. 2008. Loss of the SdhB, but not the SdhA, subunit of Complex II triggers reactive oxygen species-dependent hypoxia-inducible factor activation and tumorigenesis. Mol Cell Bio. Jan;28(2):718-31.
- Guzy R.D., Mack M.M., Schumacker P.T. 2007 Mitochondrial Complex III is required for hypoxia-induced ROS production and gene transcription in yeast. Antioxid Redox Signal. Sep;9(9):1317-28.
- Guzy R.D., Hoyos B., Robin E., Chen H., Liu L., Mansfield K.D., Simon M.C., Hammerling U., Schumacker P.T. 2005. Mitochondrial Complex III is required for hypoxia-induced ROS production and cellular oxygen sensing. Cell Metabolism Jun;1(6):401-408.