Section of Gastroenterology
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BA||2002||Dartmouth College||Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
|MD||2006||The University of Chicago||Medicine
|Residency||2009||University of Chicago||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2013||University of Chicago||Gastroenterology
Dr. Dalal's research interest is focused on the impact of the intestinal microbiota on host gene expression and development of inflammation. In particular, she has been studying the development of changes in the microbiota and host gene expression in ulcerative colitis patients who have undergone colectomy and creation of an ileal pouch.
Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Inflammatory Bowel Disease , Preconception counseling and care for pregnant and postpartum IBD patients
- Huse S, Young VB, Morrison HG, Antonopoulos DA, Kwon J, Dalal S, Arrieta R, Hubert N, Shen L, Vineis J, Koval J, Sogin M, Chang E, Raffals L. “Comparison of brush and biopsy sampling methods of the ileal pouch for assessment of mucosa-associated microbiota of human subjects.” (2014) Microbiome 2(1): 5.
- Young V, Raffals L, Huse S, Vital M, Dai D, Schloss P, Brulc J, Antonopoulos D, Arrieta R, Kwon J, Reddy KG, Hubert N, Grim S, Vineis H, Dalal S, Morrison H, Eren AM, Meyer F, Schmidt T, Tiedje J, Chang EB, Sogin M. “Multiphasic analysis of the temporal development of the distal gut microbiota in patients following ileal pouch anal anastomosis.” (2013) Microbiome 1(9)
- Rodrigues VS, Milanski M, Fagundes JJ, Torsoni AS, Ayrizono MLS, Nunez CES, Dias CB, Meirelles LR, Dalal S, Coy CSR, Veloso LA, Leal RF. “Serum levels and mesenteric fat tissue expression of adiponectin and leptin in patients with Crohn’s Disease” (2012) Clin Exp Immunol 170(3) 358-364.
- Leal R, Coy CS, Dalal S, Portovedo M, Rodrigues VS, Coope A, Ayrizono ML, Fagundes JJ, Milanki M. “Autophagy is decreased in mesenteric fat tissue but not in intestinal mucosa of patients with Crohn’s Disease.” (2012) Cell Tissue Res 350(3) 549-552.
- Hu S, Dong TS, Dalal SR, Wu F, Bissonnette M, Kwon JH, Chang EB. “The Microbe-Derived Short Chain Fatty Acid Butyrate Targets miRNA-dependent p21 Gene Expression in Human Colon Cancer” (2011) PLoS One, 6(1), e16221.