Peter H. O Donnell
Section of Hematology / Oncology
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BS||1998||University of Notre Dame||Biochemistry
|MD||2003||The University of Chicago||
|Residency||2006||University of Chicago||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2009||University of Chicago||Hematology/Oncology
Dr. O'Donnell's research focus is on achieving individualized care by considering each patient's genetic profile when making therapeutic decisions, especially regarding different chemotherapy choices. Dr. O’Donnell has advanced training in pharmacology and pharmacogenomics, and is a well-published researcher with a number of ongoing projects including studies of genetic determinants of capecitabine susceptibility, novel early biomarkers of cisplatin nephrotoxicity, and genetic determinants of response to neoadjuvant cisplatin in patients with urothelial cancer.
Dr. O'Donnell also serves as Assistant Director of The 1200 Patients Project, a new initiative within the Center for Personalized Therapeutics at the University of Chicago. In that capacity, he helps lead initiatives to explore the feasibility and utility of incorporating broad pharmacogenetic testing into routine clinical practice. He also serves as a member of the University of Chicago's Committee on Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacogenomics, which aims to educate individuals from several subspecialties in clinical pharmacology, principle of herapeutics, molecular pharmacology and pharmacogenetics.
Treatment of patients with genitourinary malignancies (bladder, prostate, kidney and testicular cancers) .
- O’Donnell PH, Gamazon E, Zhang W, Stark AL, Kistner-Griffin EO, Huang RS, Dolan ME. Population Differences in Platinum Toxicity as a Means to Identify Novel Genetic Susceptibility Variants. Pharmacogenetics and Genomics, 20(5), 327-37, 2010.
- O’Donnell PH, Stadler WM. The Role of Chemotherapy in Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma. Advances in Urology, vol. 2009, article 419028, 1-4, 2009.
- O'Donnell PH, Undevia SD, Stadler WM, Karrison TM, Nicholas MK, Janisch L, Ratain MJ. A phase I study of continuous infusion cilengitide in patients with solid tumors. Invest New Drugs, Sep 14 (Epub ahead of print), 2010.
- O’Donnell PH, Posadas EM. Renal Function as a Hurdle to the Use of Cisplatin-Based Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Urothelial Cancer. Urology (in press).
- O’Donnell PH, Dolan ME. Cancer Pharmacoethnicity: Ethnic Differences in Susceptibility to the Effects of Chemotherapy. Clin Cancer Res, 15, 4806-14, 2009 (cover feature article).