Section of Hospital Medicine
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Associate Faculty, MacLean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics; Assistant Program Director, Internal Medicine Residency Program, Mercy Hospital & Medical Center
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BS||1998||Stanford University||Biological Sciences
|MD||2005||University of Texas Southwestern Medical School||Medicine
|Residency||2008||University of Chicago Medical Center||Internal Medicine
|Fellowship||2010||The University of Chicago||Hospitalist Scholar, Ethics
|Fellowship||2011||The University of Chicago||Medical Education (MERITS)
As an academic hospitalist and medical educator, Dr. Yoon's primary research interests involve the field of virtue ethics, vocation/calling in medicine, and the moral and professional formation of medical students and resident trainees. He was co-investigator on the Project on the Good Physician, a recently completed longitudinal study of medical students funded by the New Science of Virtues Project at The University of Chicago. Dr. Yoon is also Associate Faculty at the MacLean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics, Faculty Scholar for the Program on Medicine and Religion, and Junior Faculty Scholar of the Bucksbaum Institute for Clinical Excellence at The University of Chicago.
General medicine, international medical education
- Yoon JD, Rasinski KA, Curlin FA. Moral controversy, directive counsel, and the doctor’s role: Findings from a national survey of obstetrician-gynecologists. Academic Medicine. 2010;85:1475-1481.
- Yoon JD, Rasinski KA, Curlin FA. Conflict and emotional exhaustion in obstetrician-gynecologists: A national survey. Journal of Medical Ethics. 2010;36:731-735
- Yoon JD, Shin JH, Nian AL, Curlin FA. Religion, Sense of Calling and the Practice of Medicine: Findings from a National Survey of Primary Care Physicians’ and Psychiatrists. Southern Medical Journal. 2015;108(3):189-95.
- Yoon JD, Daley B, Curlin FA. The association between a sense of calling and physician well-being: A national study of primary care physicians and psychiatrists. Academic Psychiatry [in press].
- Leffel GM, Rasinski KA, Curlin FA, Yoon JD. Relevance of the rationalist-intuitionist debate for ethics and professionalism in medical education. Advances in Health Science Education. 2015;20(5):1371-1383.